Friday, September 14, 2012

Bonjour!!


Although I arrived in Nicaragua at the end of October 2011, I'm still considered a summer cycle bidder, so earlier this summer, I found myself back in the throes of bidding mayhem, trying to find at least 30 posts (from a list of over 400) that would (1) work with my departure date, (2) not run afoul of time-in-training limitations, (3) let me learn another language and get some out-of-cone experience, (4) have good schools, and (5) be reasonably safe.    It's a lot harder than it sounds.  I was convinced that I'd be sent to Saudi Arabia, where the MM would be my male guardian, it would be illegal for me to drive, so I'd be without my beloved Jeep, and I'd pretty much have to rock an abaya because my tattoos would be illegal (not because tattoos are illegal but because my particular tattoos are of images that are illegal).  My all-time dream post was on the list, but sadly, it didn't happen--but I'm actually OK with that since I would have been limited to a two-year posting.  If I end up in this country at a later point in my career, it will be for a longer posting.  See that?  Silver lining.

So, what this all boils down to is that I'll be headed back to FSI for about 7-8 months of French classes before heading off to the country whose flag is pictured above in late August 2014.  My family already knows where we're headed, but I'm going to make the rest of you figure it out for yourselves.  I'm pretty excited as it satisfied all of my requirements and was actually #6 on my list.   I'll also be reunited with a colleague from A-100, so that's just one more thing to look forward too.  C'est magnifique, non?

1 comment: